After series of hear-says and speculations, everyone can now shout for joy because pork in Qatar is readily available in the market. True enough, a lot of pork eaters have expressed their happiness and enjoyment upon being able to buy pork in Qatar.
Where to buy pork in Qatar?
The Qatar Distribution Company is the only licensed retail outlet in Qatar for the distribution of wines & spirits and is the only place where you can buy pork in Qatar. True indeed, you will have to have a license before you can enjoy pork in Qatar. To apply for a license you would need a no-objection letter from your sponsor and pay a deposit at QDC.
Here’s some more info regarding buying Pork in Qatar Distribution Company (QDC) from an inside source.
• Access to QDC is still restricted to liquor permit holders.
• We need the liquor permit to create an invoice.
• No other permit is necessary.
• The value of pork purchases is NOT deducted from your permit value.
• There is no limit on how much you can purchase.
• The current range is restricted to frozen smoked & unsmoked back & streaky bacon and 3 types of sausage (plain, Lincolnshire & Cumberland).
• All packs (400gms for bacon & 454gms for sausages) are QR28 per pack.
• Frozen items like chops, joints and belly pork will be here in about 1 month.
• A chilled Italian range of Salami, Parma Ham etc is coming by air freight and should be here within 7-10 days.
• We hope to get some chilled ham & gammon joints by air in time for Christmas, but we are still negotiating prices on this.
Please note that we sold 10% of the first container in 4 hours yesterday, but don’t worry the 2nd container is arriving in the port today. We will be selling freezer bags from today, but I recommend you bring a cold box with you when shopping for pork.
As you will discover we do not really have space for this new venture, so please bear with us if the crowd in the cold room is too much and the queues too long. I recommend you avoid Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays if you want to avoid the queues.
Please note we will be building an extension to house this new product range, but this will take at least 6-8 months to complete. We are also planning a separate shop on The Pearl (next to the new liquor shop) but again this is at least 8 months away. The new liquor shop on The Pearl should open by end of January 2012.
When will the Pork slabs arrive in Qatar? Really soon it seems. Since Pork products are already being made available in Doha, the Pork cuts are soon to follow. It may be regulated at the present but at least it is no longer banned in the country. This is such a big leap from the culture of Qatar knowing that this is a Muslim country. But having pork in Qatar – definitely a good news for immigrants!